Saturday, April 28, 2007

On Bike Messengering

Lara and I met in the late '80s when she started working as a messenger - before she even worked on a bicycle and was still riding around on mopeds. One day on 5th Avenue, right outside the 5th Ave Theater, her moped engine quit and her frustration with the junker boiled over and she threw it down and started jumping up and down on the damned thing right there in mid-day traffic, yelling and cursing it. I just about pissed myself laughing, then she started laughing too.

She told me she was tired of sitting on her ass all day on mopeds and wanted to ride a bike for work. I think that day she decided to cut her hair and get on a bicycle and from that moment it was just amazing to watch her transform herself into the athlete and scientist she wanted to be. She burned brightly - for everyone that met her, their candles burned at both ends too, in just the most brilliant way.

Jim Schumacher

No comments: