Saturday, April 28, 2007

An Inspiration

I first became aware of Lara around 1993, when she tried to steal the warmest bag from the Feathered Friends rental department. Actually, that's not really true. I think it was more a matter of her wanting to stay in the mountains longer than her rental contract was good for. But at any rate, it says something about her evolution from young hellion into serious mountaineer.

Shortly after, I became Lara's next-door neighbor, and became witness to the flurry of activity that Lara generated around her. Friends and laughter were ever going in and out of the house, dogs were always getting into trouble and the next adventure was just around the corner. She was just starting to climb, and fancying myself some sort of experienced climber, I kind of turned up my nose at her go-for-it newbieness. But if there is anything I should have learned from Lara right away, it's that enthusiasm, determination and giving nonstop support to your friends will get you a lot further in life and climbing than a more self-centered approach.

Over time, I was amazed at all the places Lara's outgoing and generous attitude took her. Not only in climbing and adventure, but also intellectually, professionally, and in her relationship with Chad, where it was great to see the two of them become even more amazing individuals through one another's support. At home she developed formidable domestic, planning, and gardening skills. Who would have expected all this to come from this former rebel-bikemessenger-mod-doglover-snowboarder-punk? The clincher in her development, I think, is when she finally recognized that knuckle-dragging isn't a legitimate form of backcountry travel and became a powerful and capable tele skier (though she would never acknowledge her prowess in any of these things.)

Throughout the years, Lara was always on the scene--at parties, at the crags, on the slopes and peaks--blessing us all with her amazing smile, good humor and effervescent energy that always made you feel appreciated, loved and encouraged. It is this that I will miss the most, and I can't believe we will no longer be graced with her presence. Now that she is gone, I regret that I can't tell her how much I appreciate and love her but I guess I will just have to accept that as another of her lessons: That we should live life to its fullest, never being afraid to risk sharing, supporting or loving.

Lara, you were truly an original, an inspiration, a hero.
Much love to you and all those you touched,
Andy

A few photos:
www.AUSgrafik.com/photo-galleries/lara/index.htm

No comments: