Location: Sakya Buddhist Monastery in Greenwood
Date: This Sunday May 20th
Time: 9:30AM
In honor of Lara’s many travels and explorations of different cultures, Chad and friends have chosen to honor her with a Buddhist ceremony. When we first started talking about doing this we thought that Lara would love the idea of such a unique ceremony. For many of us it may be our first experience with a Buddhist service, which is reminder of how Lara loved adventure and was always glad to try something new.
In traditional Buddhist beliefs the 4th Sunday after passing, which for Lara is May 20th, is a special time to honor the individual. A dedication of merit for her will be recited as part of the traditional Chenrezi practice. This is a prayer for loving kindness and compassion. We will also have a reading of the Aspiration of Samantabhadra, which is a prayer that increases the magnitude of our intent for the recipient. With the love we all have for Lara, it feels very appropriate that we would honor her with a Tibetan ceremony.
All is confirmed for Sunday's Buddhist service from 10:00-noon (we are encouraged to show up at 9:30). Chad will be bring a special photo of Lara. The service will be followed by a communal meal for all.
Please note there is no need to bring flowers or food, we will be making a small donation for the service. We hope to see you then.
Questions:
Anthippy Petras
206-323-7706
apetras(at)u.washington.edu
Directions:
Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism
108 NW 83rd Street Seattle, WA 98117
USA Tel: (206) 789-2573
Fax: (206) 789-3994
Monastery@Sakya.org
Sakya Monastery is located in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle. To get to Sakya Monastery, from Interstate 5 take the 85th Street Exit and go West. You will cross Aurora Avenue, then cross Greenwood Ave. N. At the second light after Greenwood Ave. N., make a left hand turn onto 1st Ave. NW. Go two blocks and Sakya Monastery is on your right at the intersection of 1st Ave. NW and NW 83rd St.

1 comment:
June 04,2007
Big Sister, little brother...
My dearest Lara,
I am finally home in West Seattle... Last night I went straight to your house (as I always would), and I heard a familiar voice over the fence at Lori's, and it was Roberts!!! They invited me over and we spent the evening eating pizza and drinking wine, and talking about you late into the night... Every once and awhile Jessie would bark and we would take turns yelling at her...JESSIE!!! It felt really good to be there last night...Robert misses you so much! Lori told me that she is intent on getting an open space dedicated to you in West Seattle, you loved West Seattle so much, I know you will enjoy it when it’s done... Later I went over and spent some time with Lippy and Jessie. Lippy told me he misses you. I sat next to him and he put his head on my lap, I couldn't hold back the tears, and I could feel your presence all around me in the house. I didn't want to leave, couldn't make sense of your death, and I miss you so much. Lara, missing your memorials and not being around the one's who loved you was the worst. Yet, my time in the mountains was spent day after day thinking of you. Your presence was with me every step of the way, and this made me smile. Being alone with my thoughts in Tibet, and not having anyone around who knew you made it very difficult. I would tell random people how amazing you were and still are to me... I am going to spend time this week doing things that we enjoyed doing together. Celebrating your amazing life, that you wore so well. Living the moment, being the moment, and having fun… Lara, I miss you so much!!! I will check in with Lippy as much as I can…
Your friend,
Eric
Post a Comment