Friday, May 4, 2007

My Courageous Friend

I have been dreading this for over a week now. Since hearing of this accident my thoughts have been of Lara and of her family. But reading these words that others have left I feel compelled to offer some token of remembrance to honor our friend.

The images of her ebb and flow within my memory since it has been so many years already since we worked at the shop. As co-workers we saw each other several times a week and shared the kinds of experiences so often forgotten as part of daily life. But being around her was anything but forgetful. I do recall some pretty lively conversations as she would flip through stacks of hand receipts, fingers flying in the heat of discourse, and those dogs. Those dogs. Occasionally she would try to tiptoe past them when they were asleep for a bathroom break, so they wouldn't follow her and scare the customers. Usually didn't work.

I don't really remember the first time I ever met her but looking back I feel as if she always belonged in the memory of my life somehow. Her engaging smile, her direct way of talking, the sureness of her presence wherever she happened to be were unforgettable traits. Knowing if she needed to be somewhere else she would find a way to be there. Her determination was unparalleled. I recall one of the times I ran into her at Stevens when she was learning to telemark. She was dressed head to toe in snow, hair plastered, frustration showing despite her wide grin. She was obviously having fun but flustered at how long it was taking to master this newest challenge. As I watched her umpteenth eggbeater fall down the slope I had no doubt she would eventually tame those skis, even if she had to beat them into submission. Her courage was admirable.

I do not count myself as lucky as some who have known her so well, our paths diverged several years ago as paths often do and we saw each other less than a handful of times. But living in the same city and having mutual friends I would hear of her exploits from time to time. Never surprised but always amazed.

The last time I saw her was last fall. Looking back I can't help but feel that I was a part of her charmed existence in this life after all. I ran into her, literally, in the stairwell of the building where she worked. I was heading to an appointment on the third floor and because I was running late decided to take the stairs and as I bounded up she was coming out of her offices. There was that instant out-of-context shock then pleasant surprise and then that warm hug of hers that said "Welcome back friend!" We caught up the best we could, friends, family, work, where we were living, what we had been up to. In typical Lara fashion we crammed a few years into ten minutes. She wrote down her contact info for me. Ball in my court. We talked of getting together again with friends, soon. One last hug and I hurried up to my appointment and she to hers.

As I type this I am looking at the note she gave me so many months ago. Strong, steady, clear writing. Numbers I will never call. A name I will never forget. Swift journey LaraB, you will always have a special place in my heart.

All my love and respect,
richb

No comments: