Sunday, May 6, 2007

Lara full of love

I never imagined I would be saying good-bye to my precious friend Lara. We were forever welcoming each other home from our latest travels, eager to hear about new plans and ideas of where to go next. Just a few weeks ago we talked about her and Chad’s plans for spending next winter in Hawaii--I loved the idea of Lara surfing in the sun. I quickly checked to make sure they were not moving there, but just going for an extended visit. No matter where Lara went, I knew she would always come home. Reading about Lara’s adventures from the perspective of her travel companions, I am struck by how humble she was in describing heroic rescues of friends and unknown climbers, of her swift thinking and smart planning. I am in awe by how graceful she downplayed so much of her achievements in life. Lara has been a pillar in my life for so long; it is unfathomable to image life without her.

I met Lara on a rainy Sunday morning in 1992. I rode my bike to a local gym on Capitol Hill to attend a yoga class. I wasn’t really into yoga because I never mastered headstands. I spotted Lara immediately, as she had such a whimsical and sweet glow. After class we talked, I learned she was Latvian, and that she wasn’t too keen on headstands either (actually she probably was, but in classic Lara style she down played her ability). I didn’t know on that rainy morning I would be meeting one of my very closest and dearest friends, one that I would cherish for the rest of my life. She was my first friend who was actually from Seattle, she knew so much about Washington and was always game for adventure. Not a surprise she taught me how to snowboard, took me rock climbing (I was too scared to go more than a few times), we went on late night bike rides, walks around Greenlake, hikes off of i90 and lot’s and lot’s of coffee dates. Of course, there was an ill-fated trip to Mt Rainier for some ‘sister bonding’ time only to be foiled by a camp full of rangers rebuilding the Camp Schurman outhouse. Lara was always coming up with ideas and plans for adventure. She could talk you into anything, like the time she enrolled us in a 6:15 a.m. aerobics class. I tried to convince her it was not good to go from REM sleep to a high impact cardio workout so early in the morning. But the promise of early morning with Lara was too good to pass up. Hikes with Lara were such fun. I remember one that ended up with a full body mineral mud bath and an icy cold rinse in a river. As always, none of this was planned, since anything could happen when you were with Lara. Her energy was endless, always doing double time with a smile on her face.

When I think of Lara I am overwhelmed by her deep loyalty to her friends. She would stand by you and make you feel so smart, loved and important. When I was with her, nothing else seemed to matter. Like so many of her girlfriends, she watched out for me like a mother hen. What an honor to be in her circle of friends. She had the same devotion and love for those two dogs, Greedy and Chavez. After one of her very first hikes up Mt. Rainier I commended her with a “high five” not knowing Greedy would disapprove. I became one of many, who got a Greedy bite. A scar I now am grateful for, as a permanent reminder of Lara. Greedy and Lara were inseparable; they loved each other so much. When Greedy reached the end of life this year I was heartbroken for Lara, I couldn’t imagine the two of them not together. Greedy had gone on more outdoor trips than most people do in a whole lifetime. Lara had raced over to my house with flowers when my cat, Champion died. She and I shared thoughts about how our ‘pets’ were ‘critical family members’ and had long talks about our love for them.

As Lara and I passed from our 20’s into our 30’s we supported each other as we went to grad school, got married and endlessly remodeled our old houses. We would shoot quick emails for sudden coffee breaks at the UW, and then at the Essential Bread Bakery when her office moved to Fremont. We would talk quickly and update each other on our lives, time would fly by and we would be hours late for work. When I tried to read these sweet and funny emails again, my tears pour endlessly.

I was so happy when Lara met Chad. She showed me her ring, with such pleasure. They clearly were soul mates, with a passion for life and a powerful love for each other. She planned a whole wedding in a fraction of the time it takes most, and got our bridesmaids dresses handmade to fit perfectly, with such thought and care. She was absolutely gorgeous on her wedding day. She truly looked like a princess, the strongest most feminine women imaginable.

So many images of Lara go though my head; she gave us so much and asked for so little. Since having my daughter we had begun a new routine; I would meet her at Peet’s in Fremont (clearly one of her favorite meeting places for friends and co-workers) with Xana and she would walk Chavez, who she brought to work due to his ailing health. Lara would gently offer to hold Xana, suggesting I must be tiered as a new mom. The last time Xana saw Lara they stared deeply into each others eyes. I told Lara my daughter was studying her so as to remember her face and voice. Lara joked about how Xana was keeping a good eye on her and watching her every move. We talked about how Lara would teach her to ride a tricycle and take her camping.

I loved seeing my sturdy little baby in Lara’s arms.
I know Lara’s love rubbed off on her.
Lara’s love was infectious, and rubbed off on all of us.

We are all so lucky to have been blessed by Lara’s friendship, kindness and now vivid memories. Lara will always be part of my bond with my daughter; she will be my role model as I raise her and encourage her to explore the world…but facing the world without Lara seems like the hardest thing imaginable.

She will always be our shining star in the sky late at night.

Love, Anthippy Petras
Seattle, WA

No comments: