The service took place so beautifully--thank you everyone for that. Today I finally reached Eric on the north side of Everest-he was speechless Lara, as we knew he would be. He will be home soon, and so will Mark. We will all gather again to remember you. As the gravity of our loss continues to grow, our memories continue to strengthen through each other.
Some number of bleary days after Forrest woke me in the middle of the night with that dreadful phone call, I was walking through the city. I could feel a drizzle on the back of my neck, but my mind was fixed on the concrete in front of my shoes, dwelling on how fucked the whole thing was. A surge of your energy took me entirely by surprise. That same energy that we all felt, each time, all jacked on coffee, we rallied at the goodwill and piled into your car for a day of scraping around the Alpental valley. It was that same beautiful intensity that marked every interaction I had with you.
I lifted my eyes from the street, picked up my pace and grinned for the first time in days. Lara, I thought, You're teaching me something again. You're teaching me something about what it means to be a person. What you, Lara-Karena, are. You extend so far beyond your already overflowing physical embodiment. Your immediacy may have passed, but your presence has forever permeated our world in so many thousands of ways and places. Trout Creek will always ring with your laugh, and Second Ave will always carry the blur of your bike stealing all the yellow lights. But more so Lara, you're in all of us. We all live with more energy, closer to our passions and our ideals; we're better people because of you. The inspiration you've left us is infinite and immortal. You'll never be gone Lara; you live right here within us and our beautiful world that you love and protect so elegantly.
Happy Birthday Lara, thanks for everything--we love you!
dylan

No comments:
Post a Comment