Thursday, May 3, 2007

She Wore Great Shoes

I didn’t work extensively with Lara. I never dated her or had beers with her over the years. I never climbed with her or ever rode a bike with her. For that matter, I haven’t seen or said hello to her for 11 years. I did know some of the people in her social network and still stay in touch with a handful of them who talked fondly of her from time to time. Being an alumnus of Feathered Friends and Mount Rainer National Park, I felt more compelled to write and say something in Lara’s memory than to say nothing.

I wish I could remember the exact year, I think 1996. I was a back-country ranger in the Carbon River corner of Mount Rainier NP and Lara was a climbing ranger, Schurman or Muir I remember not. We were both in a week-long advance rope rescue class in Longmire taught by Mike Gauthier; part of our spring training for the park.

It was the first time I had seen or met Lara and she was a stand out in the 20-something crowd that made up the class. Not so much by her can do attitude, or her blond hair, or the skirt she wore, or her quick wit – all of which did contribute though. For me it was her shoes. Everyone in the class wore a pair of stout trail boots or the latest mountaineering boots, but Lara wore city shoes...hip city shoes.

They were great shoes, a cross between Dansko’s, Mary-Jane’s, and Doc Martin’s. She wore them in the classroom and in the field. She even wore them when it was raining and we were prusiking up a rope that hung off the edge of the Nisqually Bridge in Longmire. I kept thinking, why is she wearing those HERE. The shoes seemed out of place, but the thing was, she pulled it off with a flair that I think only Lara could have done.

At the end of the class, there was a party in Longmire and everyone from the class was in attendance. I complemented her on her choice of footwear for the week and we had a laugh. We parted for the evening and for the week with the thought of ‘see you in the park sometime this summer’. I don’t think I ever saw her again.

That memoir of Lara and her wearing those great shoes - and not being held back by them - has been with me all these years and will for many more now. You were an extraordinary woman and a class act Lara.

My heart and sympathy goes to Chad for the loss of his partner in both life and on the mountain; to the Kellogg family for a loss of a loved daughter-in-law; to the Bitenieks family for the loss of the sum of all your parts; and to all of Lara’s friends and colleges who she touched so dearly and so deeply.

Sincerely,

Lance D. Jorg
Richfield Helitack - Fishlake National Forest
Richfield, UT

1 comment:

steve hyde said...

...nice story Lance. Those shoes have an interesting connection with Bill Zimmerman's story about Lara coordinating his rescue on Alpamayo in Peru. Lara wore those "hip city shoes" all the way to Base Camp on Alpamayo. After Bill broke his leg Lara sent a little boy down as a runner to get help, but the boy didn't have any shoes. Lara gave him the hip city shoes (they were several sizes too big for him) He ran down the trail for help wearing them...

Steve