I probably differ from most of you in that I didn't really know Lara very well. We worked in the same small forest service office for about a year and a half in 2003 and 2004, but we never worked on the same projects and our interaction was generally limited to daily hellos in the hallway and a casual conversation here and there. One of the few times I had occasion to see her outside of work was at a presentation Chad was giving at Feathered Friends about his K2 trip. I hadn't bought a ticket beforehand and when I showed up they were sold out. I ran into Lara as she came in and mentioned this to her, and without hesitation she went right over to Chad to make sure I could get in. It was a relatively small gesture, but I really appreciated it and it sounds like that was pretty standard fare for her. Most of us will never leave such an impression on so many people, and my thoughts are with all of her friends and family. I wish I'd had the opportunity to get to know her better.
Rabi Lahiri

No comments:
Post a Comment